"Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?" – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Are you interested in helping another adult to improve their skills in reading, writing, basic math, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages,) or basic computer skills, or to help adult learners prepare for exams such as the GED or U.S. Citizenship Exam?
You can make a significant impact by helping adults in our community improve their literacy skills. Volunteer tutors with LVNRV provide one-to-one or small group tutoring in public locations throughout the NRV.
- Can commit to tutoring for one year
- Can meet with your student for 1-3 hours/week
The pathway to becoming a volunteer tutor:
2. Register for a tutor training. LVNRV holds quarterly tutor trainings for adult volunteers interested in helping local adults improve literacy and language skills for increased independence and better employment. In addition to the initial 3-hour initial training, tutors must complete 12 or more hours of online tutor training.
3. Help your community as a tutor! Work one-on-one or with a small group to help an adult learner achieve his/her literacy and language-related goals. Note that you may need to wait some time before you are matched with a student that fits your interests, availability and location preferences and can commit consistently to tutoring.
5. Complete quarterly reports documenting your volunteer hours as well as student instructional activities and progress toward the goals on the student's goals checklist.
For more information, please call (540) 382-7272.
UPCOMING TUTOR TRAINING SESSIONS:
A donation of $15 is requested from volunteer tutors to cover the cost of the tutor training manual.
YES, I can participate in the next tutor training, which will be held Thurs. September 13 from 5:30-8:30 pm at the Radford Public Library. Please register here
NO, I cannot attend the next tutor training session, but please add me to your newsletter list so I am aware of future opportunities to volunteer. Please sign up here